Sunday, November 7, 2010

Philippians 4 (Part One)

I am a terrible blogger. I tried earlier this year, in January, and haven’t blogged since. I didn’t think I would make another attempt but God is transitioning me into a new season, and I feel giving my blog a second chance is quite fitting. I need an outlet, a place to express what I am feeling but for a specific intention, to encourage someone other than myself with what God reveals to me as I study His word.

God brought a message in church this morning that I couldn’t leave just floating in my head. I had to look into it. I knew He had more for me to discover but I had to pursue it. I was sure it would be worth it because there was a promise of peace, something I am desperate for and I know I am not alone in that.

Philippians 4, an incredible chapter of an incredible book has provided comfort in my life on many occasions. Not an accident that I encountered it today. Before I really got into studying I knew I could outline my study with a set of instructions I took away from church earlier:
• Rejoice always
• Be anxious for nothing
• Pray

I am only going to focus on verses 4-7 for the time being.

“Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!”

Verse 4 is where I got the first instruction from pretty easily. It instructs us to rejoice and not just when we feel like it but always. In college I heard on numerous occasions to not let my joy be dictated by my circumstances. Rejoicing is expressing joy, and just as I had been advised to do before God’s word also reminds us to express joy, pure joy, regardless of what we’re going through. (James 1:2) Paul understood how important having this attitude of unshakeable joy is that he repeated himself. He knew, before he laid out his message, the mindset his listeners needed to have.

“Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.”

Here we are reminded of one of the fruits of the spirit, gentleness. Gentleness describes a person’s heart that has released to God all of their anxieties and understands that He is in control. A gentle person doesn’t allow their spirit to grow restless over a worry or trial, but instead asks God to take it away so it doesn’t affect their disposition. This is a quality Christ showed everyone, not just his disciples but all men. We can’t only show gentleness to those who are easy to be gentle and patient with. As a teacher of junior high students I find myself struggling everyday with gentleness. It is hard to have patience and not let my irritation get the best of me sometimes. I tend to be gentler with students who are respectful and cooperative, when it’s the disrespectful and uncooperative students who need a gentle spirit most. The end of this verse reminds us of the eternal view we must have, that Christ’s return is coming. It places a sense of urgency on being gentle and obeying the word of the Lord as well as provides a purpose. Why should I be gentle even to those that cause me so much grief? Because in the end God will make every wrong right in our crazy world. He will settle the score. We must let Him fight the battle.

“Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God…”

The bible has punched me in the face, in Christian love of course, with this verse more times that I can count. Anxiety is a huge struggle for me and is for all of us at some point. We all worry, we’re human. We want and expect a lot out of our life and the people in it when we should really just want and expect God’s will. And yes that was way easier to type than to practice. This verse has quite a few parts so let’s break it down:
• “Be anxious for nothing” This is not a suggestion, it is a command. When we are anxious we hold on to things in a weak attempt to control them. Eventually we have to let go, and beginning that process is easier the earlier you start.
• The next three parts all revolve around communication with God:
o “but in everything by prayer” Talk to God about everything
o “and supplication,” Ask God for something
o “with thanksgiving,” Thank God for all things
o “let your requests be made known to God…” God knows our requests, but he wants our participation, so tell him what they are.

“And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.”

Here is a promise I desire in my current state, peace. After analyzing the verse before I don’t feel this one needs much explaining. I’ve been told exactly what to do to have peace guard my heart and mind. Now I have to follow His instructions. Rejoice always, be anxious for nothing, and pray.

It will be a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment