Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Philippians 4 (Part Two)

Part Two: Philippians 4:8-9

Meditate on These Things

“Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthymeditate on these things. The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.”

I have fallen in love with these two verses this week. I read a commentary that described this list: “noble, just, pure, lovely, good report, virtue, praiseworthy as fruit and the food of the mind that is guarded by the peace of God. When we put these things into our mind, they stay in our mind and then come forth from us.” (http://www.enduringword.com/commentaries/5004.htm)

It makes me think of the saying you are what you eat. When you eat unhealthy things (as delicious as they might be) it can negatively affect your outward appearance. Much like I evaluate my eating habits I’ve had to question and evaluate my thought life. Am I choosing to take in the positive joyful spirit that the Lord provides? Does my outward appearance reflect this?

This week has been hard at times to focus on the positive. So I began to surround myself with the positive. In church Sunday we discussed thanksgiving, appropriate for the season, and I realized what could be more positive than giving thanks? It truly is good for the soul to thank others. You just can’t feel bad after you genuinely step back, reflect on the love another has shown you, and show your appreciation.

God has given me so many people to thank and I wish I had the perfect settings to thank them each individually. Maybe those settings will reveal themselves as time goes on.

Something else I really love about verse 8 is the word meditate. Although meditating and praying are not quite the same things I think when both are present in a person’s spiritual life they complement each other. When we meditate our thoughts are held captive. We are focused. In this state we are more likely to clearly hear God’s commands and obey.

“We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ.” 2 Corinthians 10:5

“Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.” Romans 12:2

My challenge for myself is to continue meditating on the things mentioned in Philippians 4:8 and protect this meditation by looking to God and not the world, allowing his word to renew my mind daily. Something I’ve heard in a kids’ Sunday school program is, “Let’s breathe God in *inhale* and breathe the world out *exhale*.”

You might feel silly but you should try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment