Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Philippians (Part Three)

Philippian Generosity 4:10-13

But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at last your care for me has flourished again; though you surely did care, but you lacked opportunity.”

Reading this verse I am reminded of how we sometimes belittle the power of prayer and giving to someone through prayer, caring for someone through prayer. I was looking for a quote I remembered hearing awhile back but instead found this one that is along the same lines:

"You yourself can influence more people for God by prayer than in any other
way. It is not the only thing you must, but the greatest thing you can do."

-Wesly Deuwel

Though we may not always be able to give financially or in any other material way we can always give in the greatest way.

My love language for showing love is giving gifts. Every time I go to the store I see something I think someone else should have. Sometimes I get carried away with the idea and depend on this love language to show love more than any other way. When the suggestion is made to pray for someone that I can’t give to I initially feel as if it’s not enough. Surely there is something else I can do right? What else could fulfill the duty of giving love as entirely as going before God and making a request on another’s behalf?

Maybe the issue isn’t about faith in God to provide but wanting credit for providing. I know I always have to check my intentions before giving a gift. Is my gift-giving self-centered? Am I hoping to gain anything?

Not that I speak in regard to need…”

Paul was appreciative of the Philippians for their act of giving, not the gift itself. It is good to give and Christ-like to desire to give. (2 Corinthians 9:7)

“…for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content…”

The rest of verse 11 hits home, hard. A psalm was placed on my heart this week and that is 62:5. It has been a source of calm in my anxious mind on several occasions throughout college and now after. It says, “Let all that I am wait quietly before God, for my hope is in Him.” This is the new living translation. Other translations say “soul” instead of “all that I am” and “expectation” instead of “hope”. Our soul, our core, should only hope for, only expect for, God to come through. He has always promised that He will, we just have to trust. With this trust comes contentment. When we allow ourselves to expect things from people, our job, church, or anything else that makes up our life other than God, we will more often than not find ourselves disappointed. Discontented. When we expect God, who never fails, to provide we are satisfied.

“I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.”

So I had to look up the word abased and found that it means to humiliate, lower, and to humble. Abound has quite the opposite meaning, to be prevalent, plentiful, and abundant. Basically, Paul knows how to live with nothing and with everything and so should we.

We cannot allow our circumstances to dictate our joy. A wise statement I was so blessed with in college. Having God makes having anything else insignificant in comparison. We should be able to do more than just survive living in meager or abundant conditions, because our God is more than enough. With Him our life is overflowing with greater treasures than what we can purchase at Best Buy or The Gap.

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”

I love how these scriptures build on each other so beautifully. Paul consistently writes in a way that prepares the reader for the next verse. Teaching them the mindset they should have to take on the next bit of wisdom. When we understand how desperately we need God to not only satisfy our needs but to help us provide for others, we will find that our reliance empowers us.

2 Corinthians 12:8-10 says, “Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”

We usually realize how much we are in need when we feel weak. Accepting this need and allowing ourselves to depend fully on God allows God to work more fully through us. And even though He knows when we’re struggling, we have to ask Him for help. We have to trust that we truly can do anything with the strength of Christ.

Taking a step back, I think God wanted me to write this so I could read it myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment